The Chase Park Plaza

In 1921, a parcel of land at the corner of Lindell and Kingshighway was purchased by a group of businessmen, headed by attorney Chase Ulman. They planned to build a hotel-apartment complex on the property to take advantage of those individuals wishing to stay or dwell in the Central West End. In the short span of nine months, the Hotel Chase and Chase Apartments were constructed.
 

The Hotel Chase, 1922
[click image to enlarge]
Chase Ulman
[click image to enlarge]

The Hotel Chase had its public opening on September 29, 1922; Paul Whiteman’s orchestra came from New York to play at a formal dinner dance. The nine story hotel contained 500 guest rooms and multiple dining areas, including the Palm Room, which was open for the winter season, and the Roof Garden, open for the summer season.

The Palm Room was located directly behind the ground floor main lounge and could seat 1000 dinner guests. There was a dance floor, with nightly dancing to a featured orchestra.

The Palm Room got off to an inauspicious start. On New Year’s Eve 1922, the hottest draw was the swank new Hotel Chase. Partiers jammed its spacious Palm Room for dinner, dancing and midnight noisemaking. However, as it was the second New Year’s Eve under Prohibition, there was no alcohol. At each table, a card warned: "Patrons are earnestly requested not to violate the law." But by 1922, any worthy reveler knew how to slip a flask into a public place.

The party also attracted Gus O. Nations, St. Louis’ chief Prohibition enforcer. At 1:30 a.m., Nations and five assisting officers entered the Chase for a look. They strolled brashly into the Palm Room, checking drinks and glancing beneath tables. A woman screamed, claiming an officer mistook her gown for a tablecloth. Her offended escort slugged the agent. Outraged patrons shouted, "Throw them out!" and threw plates and silverware at the officers, who retreated with revolvers drawn. Somebody knocked down one of the officers, who fired a shot into the floor, which ricocheted, wounding three of the partiers. All of the shooting victims recovered.
 

The Palm Room, 1922

When the weather turned warm, the Palm Room closed and activities move to the Roof Garden, with a capacity for 1000 guests.
 

The Roof Garden
[click image to enlarge]
St. Louis Post-Dispatch, May 25, 1930
[click image to enlarge]
Original Roof Garden Bandstand
[click image to enlarge]

*     *     *     *     *

Sam Koplar was born on July 4, 1888 in a small house at the corner of Broadway and Tyler in St. Louis. He was forced to drop out of college after one year; his family could not afford the tuition. After unsuccessfully trying to find work washing cars for auto dealers, he stumbled into the construction business, where he made his fortune.

In 1929, Koplar acquired a lot near the corner of Lindell and Kingshighway, adjacent to the Hotel Chase, where he would build a hotel modeled after the Savoy Plaza in New York City, with oversized windows, velvet draperies and divans in the lobby, uniformed bellhops, and fine dining. He named his hotel the "Park Plaza" – "Plaza" for the Savoy Plaza and "Park" for Forest Park.

Koplar lost the 28-story building to foreclosure during the Depression, but he reacquired the Park Plaza in 1944, and by 1946 he had acquired majority control of the Chase Hotel.
 

The Park Plaza Hotel adjacent to the Hotel Chase, 1930
[click image to enlarge]
 
Sam Koplar and son Harold, 1940s

*     *     *     *     *

The Park Plaza did indeed offer fine dining, as well as more casual venues. The Park Plaza drug store, with a full soda fountain, made incomparable malts and milkshakes, as well as tasty tuna salad sandwiches. The Park Plaza Grill served breakfast, lunch and dinner.
 

The Park Plaza Grill Menu
[click image to enlarge]
 
The Park Plaza Grill Breakfast Menu
[click image to enlarge]

There was dining and dancing in the Park Plaza's chic Merry-Go-Round lounge, which featured an authentic carousel horse.
 

St. Louis Post-Dispatch Advertisement, December 1, 1939

There was more sophisticated entertainment and fine dining in the Crystal Terrace, an upscale dining room in the Park Plaza's lower level. The menu included "paper-thin slices of smoked Nova Scotia salmon . . . roast duck in fragrant wine sauce . . . Caesar salad with crisp croutons in fresh imported oils . . . and flaming cherries jubilee or crêpes Suzette."

On March 24, 1951, the Crystal Terrace became the Gourmet Room.

Not since the days of Tony Faust has St. Louis had a restaurant to compare with Chambord, Pavilion, 21, or the Pump Room. Now we are creating the Gourmet Room, dedicated to the followers of Brillat-Savarin and Esoffier, to replace the Crystal Terrace, on the Park Plaza lower level.

Here is a room for leisurely, gracious lunching or dining . . . flattering glow of soft lights in a luxurious setting . . . service that pampers . . . proper temperature of food and drink . . . imported delicacies to tempt gourmets.

No music, no dancing . . . no minimum, no cover . . . no entertainment tax.

Romi Campagnoli, who will open the new Gourmet Room, was formerly executive chef for many years at New York's famous El Morocco. He comes to St. Louis from the west coast where he has presided over the continental cuisine of such celebrated restaurants as La Rue's and L'Aiglon.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch, March 22, 1951

The Gourmet Room, 1950s
 
Gourmet Room Menu, January, 1956
[click image to enlarge]

*     *     *     *     *

On December 5, 1940, the Chase Hotel opened its new Starlight Roof and Zodiac Cocktail Lounge, a glass-enclosed supper room and bar, which replaced the open-air Roof Garden. The Starlight Roof, with a capacity for 1100 people, became the hotel's regular dining room, with dancing and entertainment.

The new Zodiac Lounge was lavishly designed and decorated, with a stunning circular bar made of glass, 62 feet in circumference. the 12 signs of the Zodiac had been sandblasted into its surface, and in the center, a silver figure of a girl pointed to the sky. At the flick of a switch, a dome above the silver figure slid back, revealing the star-studded sky.
 

St. Louis Post-Dispatch, May 29, 1941
[click image to enlarge]
 
Starlight Roof Menu, July 31, 1949
[click image to enlarge]

There were other dining venues at the Chase, including the Fiesta Grille, which specialized in cheese blintzes, and the Steeplechase Room, where Harry Fender broadcast live on KMOX radio from 1954 until the mid 1970s.

"Harold (Sam Koplar's son) wanted me to do the show from the Zodiac Room upstairs, where all the action was," said Fender. "I told Harold, 'I want to go where the business ain't,' so I chose the Steeplechase. 'You're sticking your neck out,' he said. Harold was going to close the Steeplechase.

"But people just jammed in the place to see and hear all these great people. And they could do it for the price of a bottle of Budweiser."

For 20 years, Fender entertained late-night radio listeners with a veritable who's who of show business – Frank Sinatra, Sophie Tucker, Jimmy Durante, Nat King Cole, Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Mary Martin, Pearl Bailey, Ethel Merman, Rodgers and Hammerstein and on and on.
 

The Steeplechase Room
 
Harry Fender
 
Fiesta Grille Menu, 1946
(click image to enlarge)

The premier venue at the Chase was the first floor Chase Club, which began operation in the early years of the hotel. Initially, it was open from September until the following summer, when dining and dancing moved to an open-air terrace at the Meadowbrook Country Club. In the mid 1930s, when Sam Koplar became manager of the Chase, he began bringing in shows to the Chase Club year round.
 

The Chase Club Entrance, 1933

Early on, the Chase Club featured a large dance floor, surrounded by tables, where fine food was served. On a 1941 menu, blue-point oysters were 50 cents and a whole broiled Maine lobster, with julienne potatoes, was $2.50.
 

The Chase Club Menu, May 17, 1942
[click image to enlarge]

The real attraction at the Chase Club was the entertainment. Harold Koplar was responsible for finding and booking acts, and he had a knack for predicting who would be a big hit. In the mid 1940s, he saw a hilarious but little known comedy team, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, and quickly signed them.

As the Chase Club's popularity grew, Koplar redecorated it along the lines of the Coconut Grove in Los Angeles. To improve visibility, he put in terraced seating, with tables on each tier. He also created a movable dance floor, that rose when a show started and lowered when it ended.

By the 1950s, the Chase Club had a national reputation; it was known as one of the leading nightclubs in America. St. Lousians were drawn to a steady lineup of leading performers, including the Andrew Sisters, Bobby Darin, Maurice Chevalier, Phyllis Diller, Jimmy Durante, Robert Goulet, Shecky Green, Merv Griffin, Florence Henderson, Arthur Godfrey, Billie Holliday, Lena Horne, the Kingston Trio, Eydie Gorme and Steve Lawrence, Peggy Lee, Guy Lombardo, Cyd Charisse, Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy, Artie Shaw, Danny Thomas and Rudy Vallee.
 

The Chase Club Menu, 1950s
[click image to enlarge]
 
Nat King Cole at the Chase Club

By the early 1960s, top entertainers became more difficult to attract, due to high paying national television shows and the booming Las Vegas nightclub industry. In 1962, with the continuing shortage of affordable acts, Harold Koplar shuttered the Chase Club for good.

*     *     *     *     *

The following article appeared in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on October 30, 1960.

The Chase and Park Plaza Hotels will be joined into a single unit at the lobby level. Construction will start in mid November. A single reservation desk will be manned by staff members now working at both hotels.

New space created in the lobby will be occupied by shops, new dining rooms and entertainment facilities. A steak house and adjoining taproom will be built on the site of the Park Plaza Grill, kitchen and Merry-Go-Round lounge. An espresso shop featuring pastries and ice cream confections also will be built in the lobby area.

The Chase Hotel’s Fiesta Grill will be redesigned and renamed to serve as a supplement to the less formal coffee shop facilities. Another dining room, the Hunt Room, will be nearby.

When the work is completed about the middle of next year, the establishment will be known as the Chase-Park Plaza Hotel.

The Chase Park Plaza, 1968

*     *     *     *     *

The Hunt Room was styled after a gracious dining room in old Williamsburg, with a high ceiling and bleached pine walls. There were displays of antiques used during the Williamsburg period, including hand-blown glass water carriers, a tea canister from China, hunting horns, pictures taken from magazines published in that period and boots. Twin chandeliers of Waterford crystal hung at each end of the dining room.
 

The Hunt Room
St. Louis Post-Dispatch, September 25, 1969 The Hunt Room

The first Sunday Brunch in St. Louis was served in The Chase Park Plaza's Hunt Room.
 

Sunday Brunch in the Hunt Room

The popular Tack Room was added at the north end off the Chase lobby. It was styled in the manner of Sir Christopher, a well known English architect. A tack or trophy room was an area next to the stable where gentlemen met after a hunt to rest and talk about the events of the day.

The lighting fixtures were antique railway carriage lamps purchase at the Paris Flea Market, ancient brass lanterns and iron coach lanterns, and large brass lanterns that were once street lights from the town of Dundee, Scotland.

The booth separators were patterned after English horse stall dividers. The antiqued brick walls, curved beams and hand-pegged oak floor reflected seventeenth century style.

The twenty-four hour "coffee shop" served an array of good food at reasonable prices, and offered table, booth and counter service. It was the place to see celebrities and business bigwigs while you enjoyed a chili-cheeseburger.
 

The Tack Room St. Louis Post-Dispatch, January 18, 1968

In December of 1972, Harold Koplar opened The Sea Chase at the site of the shuttered Chase Club on the lobby level. He spared no expense to make the restaurant look authentic. There were various sea-oriented wall hangings, wrought iron gates and railings, and a ten-foot model of the Sea Witch, an ocean tugboat used in the film "The Wreck of the Mary Deare." While the Sea Chase lasted over a decade, it never received favorable reviews.

The Sea Chase Menu, 1970s
[click image to enlarge]

*     *     *     *     *

On Mach 28, 1962, Harold Koplar opened a new restaurant on the Park Plaza side, called it "The Tenderloin Room," and put Hack Ulrich in charge.

Henry "Hack" Ulrich was a St. Louis legend. He started working at the Chase as a busboy in 1936, right out of high school. He was the maitre d' at the Chase Club until it closed in 1961. When Koplar planned a new dining room for the hotel, there was never any doubt who would be its maitre d'.

If you needed a table, you called Hack. He knew the name of every individual who came once to the Tenderloin Room, and if they came twice, as most did, he knew the names of their family members, banker and barber. In 1982, the restaurant was renamed "Hack's Tenderloin Room" to commemorate his many years of service to the Chase Hotel and his standing as a St. Louis institution.
 

Hack Ulrich

The Tenderloin Room was elegant and old-fashioned, with carved panels and woodwork that Koplar had bought from a demolished mansion on Vandeventer Place. On the left side of the room was a specially built charcoal grill, with an outsized metal ventilating hood, where food was cooked and then served within seconds. "We bought nothing but the best prime meats, and it was aged good, and everything made to order," said Ulrich. "We took it off that grill and put it on a plate and gave it to you. Everything was just perfect, hot."
 

Tenderloin Room, 1964
 
Tenderloin Room's Charcoal Grill

While the Tenderloin Room offered such popular entrées as crabmeat salad, their specialty was beef – particularly Hack’s trademark steak with a piquant "Pepperloin" sauce. For dessert, many chose the sumptuously rich cheesecake, conjured up by the Chase’s pastry department under chef Alfred Fink. "You know, we made the greatest cheesecake in the world, unbelievable," said Ulrich. "If I gave you a piece of that cheesecake, I’d pay you if you could eat it in one sitting."

The cheesecake was only one item on the pastry cart, which featured other gastronomic delights: Napoleons, hazelnut cake, strawberry pie, banana cream pie, mocha whipped cream pie and coconut cream pie.
 

Tenderloin Room, 1960s

In 1968, the Tenderloin Room was almost totally destroyed by fire. Undaunted, Hack and his staff moved the entire operation to the lower level of the Park Plaza and opened the same night of the fire, ready for business as usual. When the Tenderloin Room reopened in 1970, it was like stepping backward into time, only better; the room changed only slightly from the original design.

In January of 1986, Hack Ulrich retired after 50 years at the Chase and Harold Haynes, who had been Hack's second in command at the Tenderloin Room for 17 years, took over. But Haynes only lasted until mid year, when he departed to join the ranks of Anheuser-Busch.
 

Tenderloin Room Menu, 1986
[click image to enlarge]
Harold Haynes
 
Pepperloin Steak Recipe
[click image to enlarge]

In the spring of 1981, the Koplars sold the Chase Park Plaza to a group of St. Louis and Chicago investors, who planned to renovate and revitalize the Chase Hotel and the Park Plaza, which had been converted to apartments some years earlier.

But renovation did not revitalize the Chase; on September 22, 1989, the hotel closed its doors. The hotel’s management said they could not compete with the boom in hotel development in downtown and Clayton. Officials emphasized the closing of the Chase would not affect the adjoining Park Plaza Apartments or the Tenderloin Room restaurant on its ground floor.

While the Tenderloin Room remained open, its business, which had been declining before the Chase closed, declined to unsustainable levels without the hotel to feed it. On August 11, 1991, the famed restaurant closed its doors after its dinner service.

On that last evening, Hack Ulrich sat in one of the Tenderloin Room's burgundy wing-backed chairs, sipping coffee. "I think it's a sin for a beautiful room like this to close," said Ulrich, who communicated as much with his hands as with his quick speech.

Glancing at a sheet of paper, Ulrich read off names of presidents, actors and athletes who frequented the Tenderloin Room. "We had practically every celebrity that ever was," he said. "It's a shame to close this room . . . but all things come to an end, I guess."

*     *     *     *     *

In 1993, the Karagiannis family, who owned Spiro's restaurant in Chesterfield, reopened the Tenderloin Room as Spiro's Tenderloin Room. The restaurant got a shot in the arm when the Chase Hotel reopened in 1999.

The Karagiannis managed Tenderloin Room is still in business today, with Pepperloin steak and cheesecake on their menu. However, Hack's Hellenic salad has been replaced by a Greek salad, it's not uncommon to find diners in shorts and the restaurant is no longer the place to see and be seen. Hack's tables have been lost forever.


Copyright © 2017 LostTables.com